Go to footer

Favorite Fire-Starting Method?

Talk about what's on your mind.

Re: Favorite Fire-Starting Method?

Postby Sage Blackthorn » Monday, Aug 23, 2010, 10:08 pm

alexanderthesoso wrote::smacks self in forehead:'

i just picked up a small cheap piece of steel rod and hammered and ground a quick spade tip on it to make a few with. I didnt even think of a screwdriver. stupid!

I'd probably have gone out and just bought a 1/4 inch spade bit for my drill. So are ya' gonna try making a fire piston walking stick?
Sage Blackthorn

Postby alexanderthesoso » Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010, 12:00 pm

Well, 4 bucks for a bit, versus 1 for the rod (yes, im that broke right now. booo)

Going to try, yes. Going to make a few wooden stick ones first, before i add anything to an existing walking stick. I think i may do a metal pipe for the walking stick though, inserted in, for strength. add a little pocket for char cloth. heh.
alexanderthesoso

Postby Mud-Dauber » Friday, Sep 03, 2010, 12:44 am

I take it polished aluminum dropped into Ferric-chloride doesn't count
How about a wax covered cube of magnesium dropped into some twits radiator?

I take it you don't like either of those methods then I'll also have to admit to having flint & steel /charcloth in a Hudson Bay tin just like shown above by Sage Blackthorn. At the last local Mountain Man Rendezvous I was way down the list as it took me 12 seconds to get a fire started with my flint & steel. The best time was 4 seconds.
Sköl,
Sven
Mud-Dauber

Postby alexanderthesoso » Monday, Sep 06, 2010, 7:29 am

you mean sodium or potassium? magnesium wouldn't make fire in water.
alexanderthesoso

Postby Mud-Dauber » Friday, Sep 17, 2010, 10:39 am

alexanderthesoso wrote:you mean sodium or potassium? magnesium wouldn't make fire in water.

You're correct - I was quite tired when I wrote that - too long & hard working a day. I was shuffling in my mind some other things I had been working on & confused myself.
Mud-Dauber

Postby Inquisitive » Thursday, Apr 24, 2014, 12:59 pm

Many individuals who have tried them say that the e-cig has assisted them stop smoking; however, many of those same individuals remain dependent to smoking, a harmful material in-and-of itself. There are some studies assisting the use of the e-cigarette as a stop aid. One small (40 subjects) French study determined that the use of the e-cigarette considerably reduced smoke intake without resulting in serious adverse reactions.
Inquisitive

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Campfire Chat